Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Whimsical Muse...Crochet School?

I took my daughter who is 8 years old with me when I went to buy some yarn the other day.  She asked me if maybe I could teach her to crochet.  Thinking about how much she's improved with her crafting and how she's really into Rainbow Loom, I figured it would be as good a time as any to start to teach her.  We got out some of the yarn I don't have plans for and I showed her some basics: how to make a knot, chain and single crochet.  Talk about great quality time!  We spent time together doing something that I enjoy when I want something to do with my hands and that she's been wanting to learn.  We both laughed so hard when she used the same hole over and over and created an accidental but really pretty wave in the crochet.  I had only taken my attention off of her and what she was doing for a few minutes.  She decided to get rid of the wave but it would have totally worked to keep it. 

I have vague memories of my grandmother teaching me how to crochet when I was young.  It was something she did often and really well.  I think it was my mom who taught me to knit. 

What kinds of things have you taught your children?  What did your parents or grandparents teach you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment